Honesty

It’s more than just a song by Billy Joel (c’mon, I know we’re all old enough to remember that one). It’s how I have to be with myself about my writing from time to time. The honest truth is, as determined, dedicated, and confident we are that being  a writer is exactly what we’ve always wanted, the plain facts are it’s hard work and we have good days and bad days. Lately, I’ve been in a horrible funk. Certain as can be that I’ve lost my mind and gone off on the wrong path. I mean who am I to write? What have I done or seen? What hidden truths are so monstrously important that I have to toss them at the world on so many pages of paper?

Truth is, I have to stop thinking like that. This is my passion. There’s not one thing I’ve wanted longer or more ardently. I have to accept that there will be good moments and bad, when everything I write is like a slug from under a rock–gray, shapeless, unappealing. This even happens to the best writers, so who am I to let myself get discouraged? A quitter? No way. I’ve ink in my veins and can’t deny it.

So, with renewed vigor, I’m going to get back to writing fiction and be all that I can be! So won’t you join me? Set a summer resolution to write more, write often, write terrifically!

And while you’re at it, enter MP’s Summer of Fiction or Summer of Poetry contest while there’s still time! I can’t enter, so I leave it up to you to dazzle me with your prose and poems. I’ve got my shades so you can shine! :chic:

6 thoughts on “Honesty

1. Louise says:

“Who am I to write?”

Harper Lee or Emily Dickinson or Jane Austen or the Brontes could have said the same thing, if leading an exciting or dramatic life were requirements for writing wonderful works…

2. John Osborne says:

Honestly, Dawn, you’re on point. No matter how dead your brain cells seem to be, no matter how dumb an idea sounds, no matter how poorly your book is selling, you have to keep writing.

3. Louise says:

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.

Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

It is our Light, not our Darkness, that most frightens us.

We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous,
    talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you NOT to be?
    Your playing small does not serve the world.

There is nothing enlightening about shrinking so that other people won’t feel unsure around you.

We were born to make manifest the glory that is within us. It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone.

As we let our own Light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” – MARIANNE WILLIAMSON

4. Louise says:

(I don’t know if you already knew that quotation, Dawn, but I happened upon it this morning and it seemed most apt!)

5. admin says:

Louise, John…you guys are rad (do they still say rad? seems like these little chic [and that’s in the French meaning and pronunciation, not the jeans] phrases go in and out like a breeze) and I’m damn glad to call your friends. No, Louise, I hadn’t heard that Williamson quote and you’re right, it’s spot on, as is your mentioning those very fine ladies of literature. And John’s dead on, too, folks. He’s fulfilled a dream by publishing an Ordinary Fairy, but now’s not the time to sit back–he’s got sequels to pen!

6. L.lora says:

I think your spot on. We need to press on, what may seem not so bright to ourselves may be viewed differently by those who read us. I say; write for the love of it, write for the joy ot it, write because you can, let your voice be heard. Both Louise and John seem to have a good take on the subject.

Comments are closed.